Friday, November 26, 2010

This mission, should you choose to accept it...

Well, it’s official. Melana and I finally have our site assignment. On Wednesday, Melana and I received our very Mission Impossible style folders containing the details of our assignments. Though I am disallowed from disclosing the exact location of the site (clearly if I told you, I’d have to kill you), I can say that it is fairly close to the town of San Rafael de Guatuso in the northern province of Alajuela. I will be working with a women’s cooperative of cocoa growers and with high school and middle school students, though I won’t know more details until I actually get to to site and assess the community. Melana will be working with a local high school acting as an English teacher. As far as more details about her assignment, we’ll find out more on Tuesday. Due to some clerical error, Melana’s folder was a little.. erm... blank.

The site is about as far as you can get from the beach, but the good news is that that’s only about 3 hours in Costa Rica. Melana and I will be living on a farm amidst cocoa and pineapple fields. More details will come later, as I get them. Next week, Melana and I will be traveling out to meed our new family and to survey our site. Below you’ll see a picture of one of the locations that is supposably near our town. I’m psyched!


No comments: