Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Well, that's just rotten...

I’ve been falling behind on updates. So, this update comes from a few weeks ago. 
We have a bit of a garbage problem here at my site. It’s getting picked up by the local government, but it’s being dumped somewhere that is considered unsuitable by the ministry of health. So, short of having a new dump commissioned, Melana and I have been looking for ways to help out with this situation.
While we work on getting the whole recycling craze up and running, I’ve been working on getting our host family to begin composting their organic waste.
For those of you who may not know, composting is a process where organic material is reintegrated into the soil through an aided decomposition process. In the case of our home here, I dug a big hole and piled yard clippings and food scraps into it.
In order to aid the process, I decided that we should take a look at vermiculture, or the use of worms to aid in the soil enrichment process. So, today I’m setting forth to bring back 1kg of worms from an organic farm that’s some ways up the road. 
Oh, the errands I run…
Below (or above, who can tell with the internet here) are some pictures of the organic farm that I took when I visited a few weeks ago to get a feel for the composting process. 

No comments: