Saturday, October 9, 2010

Rebirth of a Blog

It has been a long time since I updated this blog. Since then I have married a beautiful and amazing woman named Melana and gone to grad school at SIT in Brattleboro, VT. For the last two years we have also been applyIng for the US Peace Corps. After mountains of paperwork, doctors appointments and setbacks, we finally received our assignment many updates. Melana and I were informed that we would be leaving for Costa Rica at the beginning of October.
Now that it is nearly mid-October - I am proud to say that Melana and I are safely in Costa Rica and our Peace Corps training is well underway. So far, I'm loving it. Nearly all of the Peace Corps training is similar to if not identical to the training I received at SIT. There is a lot of potential to directly apply what I have learned in the past year. Most of the training staff has had at least one class at SIT and everyone I've talked to knows at least one of my former professors. This makes me very happy as I found myself doubting the value of my education before arriving here.
That said, we spent the first week of training in a facility high up on a mountain and away from other communities. The purpose of this was to sequester us for meetings and initial training without us having the distraction of leaving the training facility. After a week of exhaustive prep - we are finally going to meet our host families. I am currently making notes on my ipod rather than carrying my computer around with me. This is one electronic toy that I think I actually feel smart for buying - rather than all that guilt I usually feel about being indulgent.
Henceforth (hopefully) this blog will contain updated regarding the experiences of PeteMan in Costa Rica. I'll also make an effort to fill in the blanks of the past couple of years so as to enthrall the interested. The lack of internet here means that often my posts will be short, possibly misspelled (ever type on an ipod?) and in all sorts of strange fonts. It also means that posts may be out of order or 5 at a time.
Knowing that, welcome again, to the continued adventures of PeteMan!

1 comment:

Sea Girt 7th Graders said...

Does some of Costa Rica live in poverty? Eh?