Sunday, October 10, 2010

Shaking things up with a host family!

Costa Rica Flag
Friday:
With orientation over, everyone settled into a relaxed mood to enjoy a send off BBQ before we met up with our host families the next day. In the midst of all the festivities (and wonderful food) we were all caught off guard by a slight rocking sensation. You know - the kind that goes on at a bad theme park ride. Well, it seems that we all experienced our first Costa Rican earthquake - measuring at around 5.6 - it was one of the strongest tremors our instructors had felt.
Not to be shaken up completely (haha!) - everyone then settled in for a night of dancing and festivities - tomorrow, families!

Saturday:
After saying good-bye to Melana for a couple of days (we have to live in separate communities for the first three months) I found myself on a bus headed for my host family in Vuelta de Jorco, which is in the mountains outside of San Jose. And when I say in the mountains, I mean there are multi thousand foot drops in all directions. The roads were pretty intense and I found myself often grabbing hold of my seat a little harder than intended. A dry pair of pants was also in order.
It is also fun to note that the bus carrying Melana's group got totally lost and had to make a harrowing set of multi-point turns on a very narrow road. As we passed them, I caught a brief glimpse of my better half whipping around in her seat in what seemed like a small panic. Hope you're ok, honey!

Familia del Diaz: If first impressions are everything, than I love everything about this family. The father, Marco, is intelligent and hilarious, clearly the life of any party he comes across. while the other families were waiting patiently for their participants, Marco rushed the bus to see if he could chat up the driver and figure out where I was. After Marco led me back to their glorious home in the mountains, I met Sandra, my host mother, who is just a glowing source of hospitality and affection. Additionally, I live with a host sister, Cindy, and her daughter, Nicky, (I guess she'd be my host-niece?) who are both balls of sunshine and enthusiasm.

I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my host family - they are all truly wonderful people, and I've only been here a day!

Pictures to come when I get my camera back! (Melana has it at the moment)

1 comment:

Sea Girt 7th Graders said...

was the earthquake horrifying or was it just a little shake? what happened when the earthquake came? Did you try to take cover or hit the ground?