Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mud Fest!!


This weekend I headed down to Boryeong to go to the 11th annual mud festival. Which is exactly what it sounds like - lots of foreigners getting really drunk and playing in mud. As i'm sitting here I'm still picking pieces of mud out of my hair and i think I'm due for an unusually long shower after this post. Unfortunately i didn't get any pictures of me covered in mud because that would have required me to bring my camera into the mud with me.
Though i did brave the odds just as we were arriving and leaving to get some shots of random people covered in mud. 
To give you an idea of the scene, Daecheon Beach, Boryeong is, well, a beach - with no mud of its own. So, by the truckload the local government of Boryeong imports barrels of mud that are then hurled at locals and tourists alike. And right behind the truckloads of mud are the truckloads of beer.
But this isn't just any mud, oh no... this is special mineral mud of the highest quality. So, it's more like a giant spa treatment - with mud wrestling. In fact there is a giant inflatable pit exclusively for mud wrestling (pictured below) where loads of foreigners (I among them)
miraculously avoid concussion after concussion as they throw each other around in a mixture of playful aggression and deep-seeded sexual frustration.



After getting thoroughly mudded and doing various mud-related activities, i spent a good deal of time swimming in the ocean... it was gorgeous!

It was unnerving though, seeing so many foreigners in korea. It's no wonder that all koreans think foreigners are a bunch of drunken frat-boys, they really come out of the woodwork for these types of events. Though, this is a tourist event, so what's to be expected really?

I have to say though, even for a non-drinker, this festival is a great time and shouldn't be missed!
If you want more info about this you can go to
http://www.mudfestival.or.kr/lang/en/index.jsp


It should also be noted that these little characters are everywhere! I think I love them!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How did that girls hat manage not to get full of mud? And why did you not do anything to make it all muddy?!

PeteMan said...

because i was protecting my camera from the waves of mud being tossed at me!
the day before i was diving tackling non-muddy people, so i did my fair share of involuntary mudding.
good times :)