Monday, August 4, 2008

Regarding Taiwan Part 1

So, I went to Taiwan this last week and let me make something clear for those who have already asked me. No, Taiwan is NOT Thailand. It is a separate country off the continent and no, I didn't ride an elephant while I was there because that's not where they live. Taiwan is off the coast of China and 90% of the people speak Mandarin. Now that the geography lesson is out of the way...

Taiwan was so much more than I expected it would be! I had a great time! It is a beautiful country and Taipei is unlike any Asian city I've seen so far. In fact, it feels almost like a European or American city with its many coffee shops, parks and museums along with what can only be described as a very cosmopolitan culture. It is not surprising that many of the Taiwanese refer to their country as "Asia's America". 

I stayed in a Hostel, pictured below. I stayed in a room with 3 other people and there were about 5 rooms in the hostel. In the mornings and early evenings the common room was full of chatter and I seldom had a conversation in a single language. Most of the people staying at the hostel were Korean, but there were also people from Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Holland, Denmark, China and Mexico floating around.

The one view is from inside my room and the other is the roof where we had outdoor showers. The accommodations were rustic and not for everyone, but I loved it.


My first day there I spent a great deal of time walking the length of the city. My first stop was Longshan Temple in the Center of Taipei. This is where Sunday's picture came from. The entire inside of the temple is full of people meditating, bowing and burning incense. The site was pretty spectacular. I felt a little bad taking photos, so i didn't take too many.


After visiting the Temple I walked down through the city and just sort of took it all in. More later!

No comments: