Friday, August 8, 2008

Taipei Part 3




I went to the Palace Museum on Friday where I was shocked by both the scale and beauty of the building. Also, by the fact that it's roughly freezing in the building at all times in the middle of the summer heat. (ok, not really, but it IS 21 degrees C in there, which for me is cold) I took some time to explore the gardens around the museum and feed the fish, which is something awesome that you can do at about every pond in Taipei. Don't freak out there environmental people, we have to buy the fish food, and there's a limited amount for the day - I'm not feeding them nickels. Just the scale of this building is something to behold. One person told me that the museum (which is 3 full buildings) contains roughly 600,000 artifacts from Chinese-Taiwanese history. This includes pots, weapons, clothing and, most of all, calligraphy. The scrolls and tapestries go on and on and on in this place. From official state documents to poetry and art, every style is examined. It made me wish I knew more about it.

While I was getting back on the subway (which is way better than ours.... get on it, America!) I was kidnapped by a group of traveling international students. In particular, a very sweet indivudual by the name of Kim picked me up and had me follow the group to a big computer expo and then on to  Taipei 101 tower. Along with Heidi, Vivia, Tim, Fatih and others - these guys really made my day.... and here they are!



That would be Taipei 101 tower behind us. Some call it the tallest building in the world. True, the one in Dubai is taller, but it's not finished yet. Either way, at 509 meters tall... it's nothing to sneeze at. We went to the 91st floor where you can go out onto one of the lower roofs. Unlike the Empire State Building though (which is the only other tall building I've been on the roof of), it's actually nice to be out there because of the wind barrier.

Stay tuned for the action-void conclusion!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good good good......