Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rolling on the River

This weekend I went river rafting on the Hantan River in Cherwon, Gangwondo. Fortunately, due to all the rain, the river was higher and faster than it's been in years. So, what is usually a yawn of a paddling trip turned into an actual rapids experience. We nearly flipped a few times and at one point were run into the raft in front of us so hard that the guide fell into our raft and the raft we hit flew into the air, sprinkling paddles, people and sandals everywhere. I have to say, it was more fun than I expected it to be. The water was cold though, I can't imagine rafting in a river flowing high with snow melt... brrrr! I was enough of a wimp when it came to just the rain water.

As I said before, the river was faster than usual. So fast, in fact, that we had to cancel the scheduled bungee jumping that was to take place afterwards (no, I wasn't planning on jumping). Instead, we went to the remains of a historic government building where North Koreans used to torture South Koreans *shutter*... It wasn't quite the light activity that I had expected for the day.

They did double back around on the bus so that we could take a picture of the place we WOULD have gone bungee jumping... which I felt was unnecessarily cruel for those that actually wanted to do it. So I took a picture of it, as can be seen here:
I do not have any photos currently of the river rafting. There was one water-proof camera on our raft so I hope to be shaking down those photos soon. When I have them, I will post them.

No comments: